Saturday, January 18, 2014

I Want To Go To Heaven but....

In the past I was a commercial over the road truck driver.  Today, on the news, there were truck crashes on the snow covered roads.  I began to have flashbacks of my own "near death" experience. Please allow me to go off road from my christian, inspiring and encouraging,(?) blog to my "Jesus take the Wheel" blog.

1990 something, I was headed West bound on I-80 in Wyoming on a Sunday morning.  Snow, as well as freezing rain began to cover the road.  I slowed down to a safe speed. We always said "If it's freezing on your windshield there might be ice on the road (who said truck drivers weren't smart).

I had to pass a few cars with a number of senior citizens in each, dressed for church. I remember thinking they should have stayed home.  Not wanting to run them over I had to pass and  you do not want to make any unnecessary moves side to side.

Traffic was moving very slow. except the "Supertruckers" driving to fast for conditions, driving to impress. "They are going to have a wreck"

Just about that time my tractor turned North, while my trailer was still headed West!  I was going over an icy  bridge with a road running underneath. So this is how it's going to end. I'm going to get traction and fly in the air, off the bridge onto the road below crushed by my very heavy loaded trailer on impact.  On the hill I could see North for a long way meaning I was driving on a large hill. (I was ready to meet my maker. How about you?)  I thought this all in a split second.

They say your life passes in front of you before you die. I pictured the State police, knocking on my parents door to tell them I had died in an accident. I thought about my two boys.....

I did get traction and to my surprise there was a grassy hill or viaduct. I assumed I would begin rolling side over side, down the slick embankment!  In stead I was riding upright ,at a high rate of speed down the side of this tall hill holding on for dear, dear life. I was bouncing in the chair. The truck was rocking and rolling...what was going to happen?  It seemed like an eternity. I then realized, I'm headed for a fence and a corn field. I began to brake and gain control. Arriving at the bottom and hoping not to roll over, turned the vehicle to the left and come to a much desired stop....Did I mention my team driver was back in the bunk during the ride ? Asleep?!  "Hey! look where we are"

After a few minutes, I figured it wasn't as steep backing up the other hill. I could back up out of this valley and end up back along side the interstate.  Amazingly that is what happened. I was soon safely along side of the road, ice storm over and only flurries. Later, it appeared to other drivers, I had merely slid off the side of the road.  I told them on the C.B. "No I went down that valley on the side of the hill and backed up this hill, to here".  A few yards from the road I could safely drive back onto the Highway.  Not so! On top of the hill, the ground was still snow covered and frozen. We would just spin our tires.

After all that ;a couple of hours later, a tow truck had to pull us onto the dry shoulder.  While waiting for the tow truck I paused to thank God we were not hurt. We took off again.  The other side of that hill for a few miles looked like a war zone, with tractor trailers turned over and cars off in the ditch.

 The next day we made our delivery on time, hopefully headed to Florida with the next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Three Concrete Steps

The Christians of the first century, attending "The First Church of Jerusalem"  did not wait for an announcement on Face book o...