Friday, September 19, 2014

Even more from "Back to School" by Tim Flener

A portion of a chapter titled The Call  From the book:  "Back to School" by Tim Flener available at Amazon.com.

                                                                   The Call

  Paul, Mike, JoJo and John picked up Tom Jackson and went to the mall. They were going to walk around, then eat at the Chinese restaurant there.
When they arrived Tom discovered he had left his money at home. “I have money.” “Don't worry Tom, I've got you covered. This time.”
Thanks Paul.”
I hate going to the mall with JoJo” said John.
Why?”
Look".
   As they were riding the escalator to the second floor,  JoJo was running up the down escalator, running around the older ladies who were giving him mean looks, while girls screamed, surprised someone was going up the wrong way.
That's a teacher of the future.” Mike said.
Paul added: “Education is in trouble. I hope he doesn't teach around here.”
Though they were laughing, they pretended not to know him when they reached the top. When he arrived to the top. He acted as if nothing happened.
    They all chose their food from the buffet and sat down at a long table.
Did you hear Robin Williams passed away?”
Yeah, he was funny.”
He was hilarious”
It seemed like he was always on, you know?”
He'll be missed.”
Yep.”
    There was a time of silence as they pondered in their minds, important issues of life being short. A deep conversation followed of the importance of living for others. Mike said it seemed important to spend quiet time alone with God, letting it overflow to the rest of the circle of life, God had placed you in. Nodding their heads, they all agreed.
    “John.” Paul said “How can you eat all that. You had it piled a mile high.”
I pile it on so I don't have to go right up for seconds, like you guys. I already have it.”
That seems wrong in so many ways. Besides, you finished your plate of first and seconds the same time we finished our first.”
I didn't say it was a perfect plan, Whose going back with me? I don't want to look “piggish” you know, in case someone saw my first plate when I walked by them.”
To late for that, oinker. I don't know how he stays so thin.”
   JoJo said”I don't know how either of John or Paul did so well much less made the football team.”
Coach Brown had the same question.” Paul answered. “I believe he told me: “Anderson you made the team. just lucky, I guess.” .. I'm like yeah, thanks coach.”


    Paul looked over to JoJo seriously; “You still going To Indiana University?”
Yeah. It will be weird being away from here but I'm hoping once things get rolling, I'll be to busy to get home sick. What about you?”
I haven't talked it over with anyone in the family, but I sense a calling to go into the ministry.”Mike's eyes widened. “You mean like Pastor Will?”
   “Have you talked with Jasmine? Is the question.”
No and John, don't say anything. I thought Friday night, I might discuss it with her. Then I'll talk with Will.”
Yeah, you'll have to talk with him.” JoJo said, nodding his head. “Well praise the Lord and keep praying about it. Things and direction from God sometimes become clearer when you do. You've always told me, we walk by faith.”
    “I know you'd do great if you did.” Tom said, shaking Paul's hand. You ministered to me and dad in many times and ways.”
    “Now with football and losing sectionals we can concentrate on school.” Paul said.
And girlfriends.”
Project: Nehemiah”
Don't forget to concentrate on gas money for my car, you know.”
Laughing, they each threw five dollars in front of him on the table.
Let's get out of here before John goes back for fourth's.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Three Concrete Steps

The Christians of the first century, attending "The First Church of Jerusalem"  did not wait for an announcement on Face book o...