Monday, March 10, 2014

Be not Dismayed

My pastor requested I teach a Wednesday night class as part of a series on the promises of God. I planned to give a lesson/talk about " The promise of God's Presence." Joshua chapter one.

The Lord tells Joshua "Be not dismayed." Dismayed, now there is a word not used often today.  I know someone is going to ask.  I wanted a good definition that was clear.  The meaning was something like to have your courage stolen and/or weakened. My picture was next to the sad definition.

"More like having the rug pulled out from underneath you." I thought.  This lesson is going to be for me as well as the rest of a class/group.  You missed it. I just poured my heart out but I hit the backspace key.  Oh man, I just did it again.  Anyway The rug pulled out from underneath you not only hurts your head it does something to your heart.

Your courage is stolen.  You wonder, why am I still hoping?  It is no use. You say: "I am dismayed".

Look at Psalm 23, Psalm 46:10,11.  Isaiah 41. 

I hoped this Wednesday class time in the word helped someone like it has helped, encouraged and comforted me.  The Word of God is alive and powerful. (following the class, Pastor Aaron spoke to two young guys from the Church's neighborhood that decided to follow Christ!)

God knew what Joshua and the people, he was leading would face.  There would be the enemy and the people of his own camp as well. The Jordan river was swollen beyond it's banks, Jericho had it's wall. There would be sin in the camp. God said;  "Be of good courage, do not be afraid, nor dismayed for the Lord your God is with you!" Of course, accompanying His presence;  is Power, purpose and His provision.

Whether it is physical, mental or a spiritual problem today, God is with you and for you.  "If God be for us who could be against us."  No matter if you have health issues or you've had "the rug pulled out from underneath you,"  Remember, you are not doing life alone.  What did the angel say about Jesus?  "you shall call His name Emmanuel"  meaning;  God with us!

Please read;  Joshua chapter one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Three Concrete Steps

The Christians of the first century, attending "The First Church of Jerusalem"  did not wait for an announcement on Face book o...