Friday, December 18, 2015

Silly Rabbit. Christmas is for kids!

Today I tuned onto a radio station that will play Christmas music from now to the end of the Holidays. I began to feel the spirit of the season.  I should be wondering, what the grand kids will do the night before Christmas, and how their faces might light up when they see their gifts.

Forget that, my thoughts went back to my own memories. Church  play practices and enjoying Christmas shopping.  When I think of Christmas memories, I  head back to when memory begins and work my way this way.  I have good emotional or inward feelings that are very real when those old Christmas standards begin to play on the radio.

Bing Crosby, johnny vibrato Mathis, Andy Williams and the Osmond Bros.  Songs by Nat King Cole, Dean Martin etc on one CD puts me instantly back in my childhood home . (I wouldn't buy these guys music any other time but Christmas).

Television was a big event during the holidays. There were the commercials like; Santa riding on a Norelco electric razor over snowy hills (Poorly done most likely).  Christmas T.V. specials were just that, special.  Today the celebrities are a dime a dozen while on a float they lip sync to their hit on a Disney phoney baloney  X mass parade. 

The presents were great.  My mom went through Christmas heck, trying to find just the right size of long Johns (?) or shirt and a box to wrap them up.  Most often there were a ton of gifts under the tree; a great game or even T.V action figures, once it was a T.V.  One year I received a James Bond attache case complete with a luger inside and wire shoulder stock and bullets that shot out of the case.  Most of us grew up wanting to be shooters but only at the bad guys!  One year I got a couple of six shooters and a cowboy hat to fight the bad Indians until I found out we were the bad guys, that pushed, allowed, forced them to live in the picturesque rocks of our nation. Talk about a white Christmas!

Thanks Bob Hope and mom for the memories.

Ho Ho Ho, I think I'll take a sleigh ride to Boca Rotan  this season.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Three Concrete Steps

The Christians of the first century, attending "The First Church of Jerusalem"  did not wait for an announcement on Face book o...