Saturday, December 16, 2017

T'was The Night Before Christmas.....

My younger days were magical.  That means they quickly disappeared.  The great memories I often mention, are still alive, some in black and white, some color.  The Christmas recollections are as if they happened yesterday.  The sounds and colors, church, people, school, home, Christmas T.V. shows and  popular music of the day

Christmas Eve included a family get together and  food.  Usually we could open a gift before we left for the party.  Usually I would be hoping for a toy!  Usually it was the shirt my mother bought and wanted me to wear to the Christmas celebration.

Before going to bed and trying to sleep, the night would be topped off with Andy Williams special and late night: "The Christmas Carol" followed by, "It's a Wonderful Life"  movies on television.  Preceded by a month of Christmas sermons, plays at church. I went to sleep with the proper perspective about Christmas (later in life, at least).

My poor parents would have to stay up or awaken early to put together bikes or just sit out a microscope set or a doll for my sister as well as all the wrapped gifts under the tree.  "Mom! Dad!  You should see what Santa brought!" I remember them one time, looking at each other and now realize it was the look of; "mission accomplished, we made "Christmas" real again."  My night before Christmas was spent dreaming about reindeer on the roof.  For my parents it was some unselfish speed and effort in order that someone else could enjoy the season and create a special event for the family.

 I remember knowing that Christmas was all about the birth of Jesus, (I still do) that He came to live a Holy life and even die a sacrificial death. It wasn't as a martyr, but as a savior to pay for sins, in order that believers would be reconciled to God. A gift from God in that He "so loved the world that He gave His one and only begotten Son that whoever Believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life!"   Merry Christmas!

"And to all a good night!"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Three Concrete Steps

The Christians of the first century, attending "The First Church of Jerusalem"  did not wait for an announcement on Face book o...